Tuesday 19 March 2013

A friend in need

We all need a good friend now and then. Someone to talk to, vent at and have a laugh with. Well it seems i've acquired a whole bunch of new ones since taking up residence at the Brunton Theatre. The Friends of the Brunton Theatre are a group of community members who like to support whatever is going down at their local theatre and are basically pro-art. I was invited to give a talk about Room 2 Manoeuvre and my plans for the residency. As you can already tell....i dont mind talking about myself (hence this blog) so i was more than happy to give them the script. This ridiculous weather nearly stopped me having my moment. The wet, windy and cold nonsense i can take, but when it messes with my ego that's another matter. Luckily, the FOTB were as determined to get to the talk as i was to give it, so all my prep didn't go to waste. Now i wasn't gonna do any dancing (although i did end up doing a version of the running man as a demo of one of the first moves i learned). My plan was to talk, show some pictures and videos then answer any questions. I hadn't done a presentation since Vet School and that was like chewing through tar. I was gonna make sure i was a bit more relaxed for this one. It didn't start of too well as the technical equipment i had asked to be there, wasn't. But the good thing about developing a multi-media beast of a show like Watch iT! is that you're left with owning several bits of tasty kit. A quick nip up to my office/store room and the problem was sorted. I had to improvise the setting but it all seemed to go pretty well. I've noticed i talk as much with my mouth as i do with my hands. I couldn't tell if people were looking at me or my mittens but they seemed interested.

I got a few post talk questions. One of which was who are my "heros" in dance. I was pretty stumped by this question. There are a few local ones who i respect and have learned a lot from, but heros? I don't think there's ever been anyone I've looked up to in that way in the world of dance. Some dance companies and choreographers who's work stands out for me...maybe also some old school bboys that inspired me when i was getting into breaking. I'm beginning to wonder if i've lacked the hero element while developing (and still growing) as a dancer. Does it matter? Anyhow...small digression...another digression is that i'm just on the train back from G-town after seeing a Band i just discovered only last week - Brandt Brauer Frick. One of those internet discoveries that just blow you away when you hear it and now it's stuck on repeat. So good, i bought all the albums. that's me doing my bit for the music industry. But...what i mean to say id that i'm on the train sitting across from a grown up pair of clowns. Since sitting down they've managed to drop several food items onto the floor, spread all their Burger King wrapping across the table and are precariously messing about with bottles of water near my laptop. Would love to see what home looks like...no i wouldn't actually. Anyway, they've obviously had a good night out and are finishing it off with a double Whopper. We've all been there.

But back to the FOBT. It was good to finally begin connecting with some of the people that the building actually represents. I've been quite busy earning a crust so haven't been able to spend much time there of late. I'll be around now for a good couple of months and will be putting on my first show as a resident in April. Details to follow. I'm looking forward to the coming year and trying to make some kind of impact in the scene at the Brunton. It's not your regular type of Arts building as it's also the main council offices for East Lothian. There's also a particular type of audience who like a particular type of show. My work is definitely in the minority...but i like a challenge.

It looks like the clowns are starting to flag, and we are getting in to Edinburgh. I reckon they'll probably support each other on the way home...like good friends should.

No comments:

Post a Comment